Full-time Malaria Consortium: Monitoring and Evaluation Manager Vacancy
Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
The Job : Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Length of contract: 3 years
Role type: National Grade: 10
Travel involved: Up to 40% travel to areas of operation
Child safeguarding level:
Reporting to: Line manager: Senior Programme Manager
Direct reports: None
Dotted line manager: TBC
Dotted reports: M&E Specialists
Country and Project Background
The Nigeria Country Office with office in Abuja, started operations in 2008, through the DFID/UKaid funded Support to National Malaria Programme, SuNMaP (2008 – 2016). The office had presence in 23 states of the country and has managed at various times, about 15 programmes and projects. It follows the mandate of the parent organization in Nigeria and has been working specifically in the following areas:
- Malaria control/elimination
- Integrated community case management (iCCM) for malaria, pneumonia and diarrhoea
- Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs)
Nigeria recently received the award of US$ 217 Million from the Global Fund (GF) to implement the 2018-2020 malaria program aimed at treating at least 44 million malaria cases, distributing at least 31.6 million long-lasting insecticidal nets (LLINs) in seven states, strengthen health product management and improve supply chain and monitoring and evaluation systems in 13 state.
Malaria Consortium recently became Sub-recipient to Catholic Relief Services (CRS), being the Principal Recipient (PR), to implement malaria case management, prevention of malaria in pregnancy and monitoring and evaluation activities in six states including Kano, Kaduna, Jigawa, Gombe, Niger and Yobe states. MC will also implement integrated community case management (iCCM) of childhood illnesses in Niger and Kebbi states.
- To provide technical oversight and support to all monitoring and evaluation (M&E) activities of MC’s Global Fund-supported malaria programme in Nigeria.
- The M&E Manager will serve as the main focal person for all Research, MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning) activity which include data validation, DQA, coordination meetings, capacity building in data quality and supportive supervisory visit to strengthen health management information system.
- S/he will report to the Senior Programme Manager.
Scope of work
- The M & E Manager shall be responsible for technical oversight in planning, coordination and supervision of monitoring and evaluation activities for the GF-malaria and iCCM programme in 7 states.
- S/He will provide expert technical inputs to state M&E Specialists in data management, data quality assurance, analysis, interpretation of findings and writing of progress and scientific reports.
Key working relationships
- The M&E Manager will work with the GF- Senior Programme Manager and will have dotted line management with the Country M&E Specialist to supervise State M&E Specialists working in the 6 project states.
Management and planning (40%):
Take the lead in the development of programme M&E plans and frameworks as listed below:
- Log frames with appropriate programme indicators, targets and data collection methods
- Routine monitoring systems, including databases, systems for data collection, maintenance and storage
- Templates and schedules for routine reports including quantitative and narrative reports (where necessary)
- Take the lead in planning M&E activities in the approved work plan and coordination of implementation ensuring high level of technical quality
- Support project staff (State M&E Specialists) in the implementation of M&E activities in approved programme workplan under the guidance of the SPM
- Ensure high quality data are available in useable format on a regular and timely basis for programmatic decision making by facilitating data collection and collation for the iCCM component of the grant
- Advise project staff in the design, implementation and analysis of large scale quantitative surveys and smaller scale qualitative surveys. Where necessary, oversee the implementation of the same
Data management, reporting, surveys, knowledge management and dissemination (40%):
- Provide technical support for routine data collection and management including IT applications for data transfer where needed
- Lead the set up and maintenance of a project database and linkages with the national DHIS version 2 platform for reporting
- Ensure the timely submission of high quality programmatic Progress Update and Disbursement Request (PUDR) and the validation of such on a quarterly basis according to the approved project performance framework
- Plan and coordinate quarterly routine monitoring visits to project supported sites and Conduct field visits to validate data and monitor the quality and completeness of collected data
- Assist in analysis and presentations of project data at national level
- Participate in project assessments, evaluations and design including development of survey protocols with support from country office and advisors
- Participates in regular documentation of lessons learnt on various interventions by the project
- Assist SPM in preparing donor reports
Capacity building (10%):
- Take the lead in the development of training or capacity building plans related to M&E
- Support M&E training planning and rollout at the state levels
Networks and representations (10%):
- Develop and maintain relationships with NMEP and relevant Ministry of Health officials, so as to stay abreast of and involved in related HMIS and M&E developments
- Represent MC and make presentations at professional meetings and conferences related to Monitoring, Evaluation and research for GF, including quarterly Principal Recipient and Sub-recipients quarterly review meetings
Qualifications and experience:
- Postgraduate Degree in Public Health (with focus on epidemiology/bio-statistics) or a pertinent social science discipline such as Demography
- At least 10 years’ post-qualification experience and 7 years’ experience in the design and implementation of health related project assessment, with a focus on project monitoring and evaluation, and data /database management
- Experience working in Public Health in developing countries within government, an international organization or research institution and managing social research, data analysis and report writing
- Significant experience in survey design and implementation
- Proficient in the development of data entry programmes, using statistical analysis software (EpiInfo, EpiData, Excel, Access, Stata, SPSS) and management of project M&E systems
- Experienced in applying qualitative methods of data collection and analysis
- Familiar with Nigeria’s routine HMIS and DHISvs2
- Proven significant experience working for an International Non-Government Organisation
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent communications and presentation skills and proficient in word-processing and data management and analytical software
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Experience managing teams
- Excellent organization skills
- Experience in capacity building/ transferring of skills
- Delivering results
- LEVEL D – Inspires wider teams to achieve outstanding results and to manage risks
- Proactively improves effectiveness and performance of other senior staff to increase ability to meet objectives, acquiring new skills when appropriate
- Encourages mitigating risks amongst the teams/groups they work with/ manage
- Ensures the quality of all internal/external work of own and others.
6,583,500 gross per annum.
How To Apply