Contract Education in Emergencies – Curriculum Consultant at Plan International
Plan International is evolving in response to shifts in international development and humanitarian response. We are doing this so we can continue to make a stand for children’s rights. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for and respond to crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
The Job : Education in Emergencies – Curriculum Consultant
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Since the beginning of the crisis the Education in Emergency Working Group Nigeria (EiEWG Nigeria) has been advocating and planning for the review/ development of an education in emergency curriculum for Nigeria. The design and development of a national Education in Emergencies curriculum is an important step towards increasing the robustness of the Nigerian education system in times of emergencies and its resilience to emergencies. In Nigeria, this stands to standardize the availability and quality of emergency education initiatives at a national level, demonstrating a commitment to protecting the right to education under any circumstances. This requires:
- Inclusion of contents that offers immediate life-saving, life sustaining support for children who continue to attend schools;
- Integration of content that supports teachers and students to recognize, respond to and recover from emergencies; and
- An examination of the core curriculum for conflict sensitivity in order to reabsorb and ensure relevance and protection for conflict affected children.
The EIEWG will work in collaboration with the Nigerian Educational Research and Development Council (NERDC) who among other things, has the statutory responsibility to:
- Develop, review and enrich curriculum at all levels of education in Nigeria;
- Undertake, regulate and promote book development, and local authorship for quality assurance;
- Conduct educational research for public policy formulation and implementation,
- Develop Nigerian Languages and promote other languages to enhance education and for public use.
- Entrench and adapt best practices and innovations in educational contents and delivery including emerging development issues;
- Serve as center for the collation, exchange and management of information on education and policy related issues;
- Make input into teacher education programmes in tertiary educational institutions.
Scope of Work/Deliverables
The Consultant is expected to:
- Work closely with the Technical Working Group in developing the draft national Education in Emergencies curriculum.
- Develop a technical paper that will guide and inform the development of a gender responsive and conflict sensitive EIE curriculum
- Provide technical assistance and guidance during the critique phase of the curriculum workshop which is to hold for 5 days.
- Work remotely with the Technical Working group in the finalization of the document after the initial draft has been developed.
- An Advanced University Degree (MS/PhD level) in the area of Education, Curriculum Development, Literacy or related field;
- At least seven (7) years of experience in development, assessment and evaluation of curriculum, teaching and learning resources required;
- Professional experience working in Nigeria or conflict-affected areas, highly desirable;
- Thorough understanding of the issues surrounding development of educational institutions in transitional countries; and
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with LD’s Curriculum Department and mentor a diverse team.
- Strong Expertise and experience in emergencies and/or protracted crisis.
Duration of the Consultancy
- The consultancy will take effect from 2-31 July. 30 days divided as follows: 10 days (5 days in a workshop setting and 5 days’ in-house work with Technical Working Group) in the field and 20 days remotely.
How To Apply
Applicants should submit their CV’s and a work plan including methodology by to: [email protected] Application title: EiE Curriculum Consultant
Note: Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer ad does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities. Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are encouraged to apply.