Full-time World Health Organization (WHO): National Consultant (Health Emergency Preparedness and IHR) Vacancy
The World Health Organization (WHO) is the United Nations organization that specialized in public health. Our goal is to build a better, healthier future for people all over Nigeria. Working through offices in in all 36 States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), WHO staff work side by side with governments and other partners to ensure the highest attainable level of health for all people. Together we strive to combat diseases – infectious diseases like tuberculosis, polio, influenza and HIV and non-communicable ones like cancer and heart disease.
The Job : National Consultant (Health Emergency Preparedness and IHR)
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Ref Id: 1704251
Contractual Arrangement: Individual Service Contractor
Contract duration: 6 Months
Purpose of the Position
- In the context of the WHO Health Emergencies program, the incumbent will implement and coordinate WHO’s support to government through development of strategies for the monitoring and implementation of public health surveillance and response programmes with special focus on early detection, verification and rapid response to epidemics and other public health incidents related to the health emergencies.
- The incumbent will provide technical guidance to the Ministry of Health and other partners in strengthening preparedness, surveillance and emergency response for priority diseases, conditions and events in the context of Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) and for capacity building of national experts, to strengthen the countries International Health Regulations (IHR 2005) core capacities.
Description of Duties
The incumbent will work in close collaboration with relevant technical officers at the national level, will coordinate the work and provide technical guidance to the ministries of health at national and state levels and will carryout the following duties:
- Support the Ministry of Health/NCDC to develop comprehensive and integrated policies and strategies for International Health Regulations(IHR) and Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response(IDSR)
- Facilitate the implementation of the International Health Regulations (IHR) including participation in the process of verification and risk assessment on reported public health events.
- Support the planning and implementation of IHR internal evaluation and Joint External Evaluation including development of action plan
- Coordinate and manage surveillance technical activities, within the context of the outbreak and health emergencies programme at the national and state levels
- Strengthen the capacities of surveillance teams for the effective and sustained surveillance of epidemic prone diseases through detection, data management, and rapid response to epidemics and health outbreaks.
- Provide technical guidance for the management of a unified information system to ensure availability of core data country files and other information on related technical areas such as: case incidence; case management surveillance data; laboratory surveillance data; contact tracing, etc.;
- Analyse, systematize, and disseminate scientific and evidence-based technical information and knowledge; support the development of the WHO Situation Reports, other related regular and adhoc surveillance reports
- Manage the timely collection, analyses, production and dissemination of data/information.
- Support documentation and publication of health security and emergencies interventions
- Support resource mobilization
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisors.
- Medical Degree (MBBS) from a recognized University – Essential
- Masters in Public Health from a recognized University – Desirable
- At least 5 years working experience in Health emergency preparedness and response – Essential
- Working experience in related areas with WHO, other UN agencies or other recognized international organizations – Desirable
Use of Language Skills:
- Proficiency in written and spoken English – Essential
- Working knowledge of French is an added advantage – Desirable
Specific Skills Required:
- Computer abilities such as word processing, spread-sheets; data analysis tool such as Epi-Info, SPSS, GIS and excellent report writing skills
How To Apply