Full-time WaterAid Nigeria: WASH Specialist – Sanitation Vacancy
WaterAid is an international organisation whose mission is to transform the lives of the poorest and most marginalised people by improving access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene. Through their partners, they have reached 2 million people with safe water and 3 million people with sanitation last year.
The Job : WASH Specialist – Sanitation
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Department: Service Delivery & Partnerships Unit, Programmes Directorate
Reports to: State Programme Lead
Contract Type: 1 year fixed term (renewable)
Travel: At least 60% time travel to support partners
- WaterAid Nigeria has recently completed its 2016-2021 country programme strategy which sets a 5 year building block towards delivering a more influencing led programme over a 15 year horizon.
- This new country strategy rather than reflect a progression from previous country programme strategies, outlines key shifts in focus required to catalyse change and achieve maximum impact for our work in Nigeria.
- The recalibration of WaterAid Nigeria’s structure and programming architecture has placed the state as the focus of our work to maximize impact.
- The Service Delivery & Partnerships Unit sits within WaterAid Nigeria’s Programmes Directorate and delivers policy analysis as well as institutional strengthening, sector capacity and related support.
- The unit focuses on policy influencing at both national and state levels.
- WaterAid Nigeria is exploring a collaboration with UNICEF to deliver work in Zamfara State under the auspices of the DFID funded SHAWN II project.
- The Sanitation, Hygiene and Water in Nigeria (SHAWN) project will aim at strengthening the WASH enabling environment in three Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Zamfara State, working with state level systems towards increasing access to equitable and sustainable WASH services in Bakura, Shinkafi and Maru Local Government Areas (LGAs).
- The funding is for one year.
- Under the direct supervision of the State Programme Lead, the State WASH specialist (sanitation) will drive programmatic activities that will deliver WASH services of the highest quality to mainly rural areas in the state.
- This position will support to strengthen institutional capacity of the structures set up to address sanitation issues in the target LGA’s and communities through the implementation of Community Led Total Sanitation, sanitation marketing and other tested approaches.
- The role will also build and maintain effective collaborations with state and LGA agencies responsible for delivering sanitation outcomes including RUWASSA, State Ministry of Water Resources, State Primary Health Care Development Agency, State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) etc.
- Take leadership for the effective implementation of CLTS, Sanitation marketing and hygiene behaviour change activities implemented by WaterAid Nigeria and its partners in the state.
- Work in close collaboration with the Policy & Sector capacity officer to assess institutional capacity of RUWASSA, Ministry of Water resources, LGAs, Utilities, private sector and community actors to deliver sanitation services and to develop management models; use the results of the capacity assessments to design participatory action plans to strengthen capacity of these institutions to deliver sustainable sanitation services .
- As part of the State programme team, work with partners to build ownership and accountability for programmes in line with the programme quality standards outlined in the WaterAid programme accountability framework; make suggestions for improvements where gaps exist.
- Ensure work plans to deliver all WaterAid funded programme activities are developed with strong inputs and participation of state partners, CSO’s and stakeholders; support partners agree to and commit to implementing the work plan and deliver key milestones.
- Facilitate and supervise the feasibility studies and design of technology and management models; promoting and supporting the scaling up/replication of such models across the LGA’s and in the state financed projects
- Ensure all infrastructure constructions to be implemented in the state are in line with WaterAid technical designs specifications and national standards. Support state and LGA’s to replicate similar standards and models in state and LGA financed constructions
- Ensure the mainstreaming of WaterAid key programme delivery approaches in the state including EIG (equity, inclusion and gender), sustainability models, Pro-Poor Approach, Risk Management, Health and Safety strategies/guidelines/policies etc
- Implement and manage activities in line with WaterAid’s strategic direction and specific grant donor requirements; monitor and evaluate progress in line with WaterAid’s PMER standards and guidelines.
- Foster effective synergy and collaboration with WASH related stakeholders including health and education service providers to leverage their activities to improve sanitation access in the state.
- Identify and develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with key Water, Sanitation and Hygiene professionals in the state (e.g. government, donor community, service providers and utilities) and maintain them over time; Build and maintain effective network and collaboration with partners and key sector actors to achieve improved WASH access for the state.
- Work in close collaboration with communication team colleagues and voices from the field officers in the state to generate success stories, videos and case studies showcasing the quality of WaterAid work in the state.
- Develop a viable system than ensure the maintenance of services (WASH) and that involves community structures, state structures and private operators (district mechanics); Support the state institutions and LGAs and to develop their procurement and quality assurance processes for latrine construction design for households, health facilities, schools and public places.
- Support the functionality of community management structures in line with best practices in every location where WaterAid has supported construction of sanitation infrastructure.
- Build effective collaborations between relevant networks and stakeholders to seek attainment of ODF status by communities in the target LGA’s; support ODF free communities to receive certification
- Assess various business models based on supply chain data and field experience and determine best fit option for scaling up sanitation marketing outcomes in the state.
- Identify the most viable business model(s) to test in each target LGAs in state.
- With collaborative support from the Sanitation Marketing Manager, analyse the range of desirable, scalable and affordable sanitation products and business models to be used to increase sanitation uptake in the state.
- University Degree in the Physical Sciences, Public Health, Geology, or Civil Engineering.
- Three (3) years’ work experience of which at least 2 would ideally be in the area of public health, environmental health or community health management.
- Demonstrable understanding of development programme management approaches
- Prior experience working in the WASH sector, public, private or non-governmental Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to convey complex information clearly and persuasively
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Good problem solving skills
- Commitment to WaterAid values and a working style that reflects these
- Five (5) years’ experience of which at least 3 would ideally be in the area of public health, environmental health or community health management
- Competitive with excellent benefits.
How To Apply
Applicants should send their CV’s to: [email protected] using the job title as the subject of the email.
Note: To apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria.
16th October, 2017.