Contract WaterAid Nigeria: Policy & Sector Strengthening Officer Vacancy, Zamfara, Nigeria
WaterAid is an international organisation whose mission is to transform the lives of the poorest and most marginalised people by improving access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene. Through their partners, they have reached 2 million people with safe water and 3 million people with sanitation last year.
The Job : Policy & Sector Strengthening Officer
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Department: Service Delivery & Partnerships Unit, Programmes Directorate
Reports to (title): State Programmes Lead
Contract Type: 1 year fixed term (renewable)
Direct Reports (titles): NA
Travel: At least 60% time travel to support partners
- We are looking for a Policy & Sector Strengthening Officer (1 year fixed term – renewable) to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere by 2030.
Working within the WaterAid Nigeria, Zamfara State team, the Policy & Sector Strengthening Officer will:
- Drive state level advocacy strategies that will help deliver the policy changes necessary for sanitation and water to reach the poorest communities.
- Be accountable for anchoring the CP’s activities aimed at improving internal focussing, capacity, coordination and delivery of sector strengthening initiatives in the state.
- Be responsible for delivering the specific plans and activities for advocacy, sector strengthening & support in the state.
- Analyse the institutional and relevant sector policies and delivery mechanisms across RUWASSA, SUBEBS and Health and develop focused institutional strengthening strategies that result in their ability to deliver effectively on the project objectives and future institutional objectives.
- WaterAid Nigeria has recently completed its 2016-2021 country programme strategy which sets a 5 year building block towards delivering a more influencing led programme over a 15 year horizon. This new country strategy rather than reflect a progression from previous country programme strategies, outlines key shifts in focus required to catalyse change and achieve maximum impact for our work in Nigeria.
- The recalibration of WaterAid Nigeria’s structure and programming architecture has put the state as the focus of our work to maximize impact.
- WaterAid Nigeria is exploring a collaboration with UNICEF to deliver work in Zamfara State under the auspices of the DFID funded SHAWN II project. The Sanitation, Hygiene and Water in Nigeria (SHAWN) project will aim at strengthening the WASH enabling environment in three Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Zamfara State, working with state level systems towards increasing access to equitable and sustainable WASH services in Bakura, Shinkafi and Maru Local Government Areas (LGAs). The funding is for one year.
- As part of the outputs of the SHAWN II project, the focus for the State Policy & Sector Strengthening officer role is drive state level advocacy strategies that will help deliver the policy changes necessary for sanitation and water to reach the poorest communities.
- The role will also be accountable for anchoring the CP’s activities aimed at improving internal focussing, capacity, coordination and delivery of sector strengthening initiatives in the state.
- The post holder will be responsible for delivering the specific plans and activities for advocacy, sector strengthening & support at the state, ensuring that the design and intent of the field level programming is aligned with the strategic agenda, and that evidence generated from WANG field work and technical innovations are used in influencing of policies and programmes at LGA and state levels.
- The role analyses the institutional and relevant sector policies and delivery mechanisms across RUWASSA, SUBEBS and Health and develop focused institutional strengthening strategies that result in their ability to deliver effectively on the project objectives and future institutional objectives.
- Under the direction of the State Programmes lead, ensure the agreed priorities and plans for delivering the sector capacity strengthening targets for the state are achieved
- Ensure that WaterAid Nigeria WASH Programme delivery at the state level is implemented to positively impact the building of better WASH systems and generate replicable results that can be profiled to contribute to universal access for Nigeria.
- Analyse policies, budgets and related issues affecting the WASH sector in the state and effectively contribute such information to shape sector wide case studies, position papers and policy messages / briefings notes, targeting different audiences, in order to pro-actively influence effectiveness of WASH investments in the state.
- Build and maintain relationships with key sector related ministries, institutions and other strategic partners who are critical to realizing WANG strategic priorities in the state, creating the best collaborative environment that assists in the mutual achievement of the project outcomes and opportunities for wider influencing; In collaboration with colleagues, assist in the marketing of WANG’s models to key sector stakeholders
- Generate analytical briefs, communication materials and stories on programme learning gained in the state in line with the CP and global priorities.
- Lead and undertake the capacity assessments of sector institutions in the state (e.g. RUWASSA, State Tasks Group on Sanitation, Water Consumer Associations, WASHCOMs, State Planning Commissions, Local Government Authority WASH departments, Civil Society Networks, etc.) and assess their capacity to deliver services in an accountable, transparent and inclusive manner that will feed into the development of the WASH sector.
- Develop and manage sector support plans for identified institutions and be accountable for their implementation.
- Provide support to sector support initiatives and participate in sector coordination meetings at state and LGA levels like the STGS and LGTGS and others where appropriate.
- Monitor the implementation of sector capacity building/system strengthening programmes and make inputs to key reports in line with organizational policies and procedures including monthly, quarterly, biannual and annual reports.
Policy Influencing & Dissemination:
- Analyse state legislation, policies, strategies, sector financing and sector strengthening initiatives in WASH and related sectors (e.g. health, education etc.) to inform relevant influencing & advocacy strategies, plans and activities.
- Work collaboratively with Communications team colleagues and the Voices from the field focal person in the state to develop and share evidence based case studies, success stories, policy messages /briefing notes, web articles etc. on key WASH sector issues to achieve influencing outcomes in the state
- Continuously identify, strategize and instigate key influencing moments using key evidenced based materials; Keep a watching brief on policy makers and other key players in the state in relation to WASH issues and identify opportunities to raise awareness and campaign to influence policy change.
- Work in close collaboration with the communications and campaigns team in the central office and state level stakeholders and partners to deliver well-coordinated and successful marking of global events and campaign activities in the state.
- Relevant postgraduate degree or graduate degree with commensurate experience (e.g. Social Sciences, Public Policy, Development studies, e.g.)
- Minimum of three (3) years’ work experience of which at least three would ideally be in the area of sector strengthening or institutional development/organizational development, policy research or advocacy role.
- Experience of social science, public policy or development research, analysis and documentation
- Strong knowledge and/or competency in the use of capacity assessment tools
- Demonstrable understanding of public sector development in Nigeria and how change happens
- Experience in developing, managing effective experiential adult learning interventions
- Experience of working in, and solid understanding of the WASH Sector
- Demonstrated experience in producing a range of influencing materials, including case studies, briefing notes, position papers etc
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to convey complex information clearly and persuasively
- Strong time management and organisational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to build strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders including colleagues, high levels decision and government officials to support delivery of goals.
- High level proficiency in the use of Microsoft suite of computer applications: MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint
- Good problem solving skills
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these.
- Knowledge or experience of the education and/or health sectors
- Minimum of three (3) years’ work experience of which at least three would ideally be in the area of sector strengthening or institutional development/organizational development, policy research or advocacy role
Competitive with excellent benefits.
How To Apply
Applicants should send their CV’s to: [email protected] using the job title as the subject of the email.