Full-time Vessel Operations Manager at Subsea 7
Subsea 7 is a world-leading seabed-to-surface engineering, construction and services contractor to the offshore energy industry. We provide cost-effective technical solutions to enable the delivery of complex projects in all water depths and challenging environments.
The Job : Vessel Operations Manager
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
acancy ref: 58466
Location: Lagos (based in Head-Office in Victoria Island)
Business area: Surf and Conventional
Working hours: 40 hours per week
Contract type: Contract
Reporting To: Country Operations Manager
Description of Role
- The VOM is the single point of contact for Operations, project and tendering teams for any particular vessel and provides the continuity of knowledge of a vessel’s capabilities, performance, cost base and technical library.
- The role supports both the Project Manager and the operations Manager of the ship in delivering project performance by planning, executing, measuring and improving a range of issues associated with maximising efficiency of the ship’s construction activities.
- The VOM will act as a technical advisor for all NigerStar 7 assets, a general knowledge /awareness of all marine equipment / systems.
Specific Key Responsibilities & Activities
- Provides assistance to project engineering and operation expertise in project execution and project preparation.
- Accountable to the project utilising the vessel for delivering a vessel:
- That is fully operational with all necessary personnel (marine and project) and equipment / consumables
- That is operating safely and efficiently
- Responsible for the continuous improvement of vessel performance.
- Support tender teams in provision of ship information as required. Provide technical expertise to review feasibility, schedule and POB/equipment.
- Highlight requirements for modification of existing assets.
- Issue Project / Operations interface and responsibility matrix after project kick-off meeting.
- Organise Technical Review related to dedicated vessel prior to HIRA.
- Review & Comment Installation Procedures and ensure compliance of project specific tools with vessel equipment
- Review and update Ship Compliance Report issued by project
- Provide Operations Expertise (dedicated offshore personnel) in Engineering review (HIRA)
- Responsible for Asset preparation. Single Point of Contact between Project and Technical Entity for preparation or modification of Equipment in order to deliver a spread fit for purpose.
- Maintain SOP & STPs (Standard Operating Procedures and Standard Task Plans), ship technical documents (deck lay out, general arrangement drawings, crane curves…) up to date and ensure availability under the relevant Sharepoint site Library
- Risk Assessment database to be updated for vessel generic activities
- Define and update on a regular basis vessel standard consumables list
- Ensure project consumables (such as welding, diving, coating, rigging, ROV, survey consumables) required on top of vessel standard consumables are defined and delivered by project to the vessel. (input project)
- Define Marine Offshore Personnel on board (POB) required for project operations (quantity and origin of personnel for each role and each operation phase)
- Project crew : Ensure skills and quantity of offshore personnel is fit for purpose. In case of personnel shortfalls, source adequate personnel supported by Crewing Department.
- Inform Operations Manager about vessel scope to allow proper manning of marine crew.
- Interface with Crewing department to develop and maintain a training matrix and ensure that offshore crew is trained according to vessel standard works, country and project requirements.
Marine Technical Support:
- Focal point for contact with vessels concerning Marine Engineering issues.
- Involvement as required to assist Technical Entity on emergency and planned marine / vessel related systems.
- Work within budget restraints for the efficient operation and maintenance of vessels.
- Help develop and administer reliable budget forecasts against the approved budget plan.
- Liaise with Classification Societies and Maritime Authorities relevant to maintenance of vessel certification.
- Involved in planning, budgeting, performing and commissioning/testing of ship dockings, modifications and repairs.
- Provide technical expertise on marine systems in general.
- Involved in analysis of ship performance and technical improvements to be implemented in ship maintenance systems.
- Review results of condition monitoring systems and if required initiate changes to Planned or Condition Based Maintenance Systems.
- Provides assistance or guidance to equipment superintendents.
- Responsible for transfer of experience and know how back to functional group.
- Interface between OEM / equipment service engineers for team vessels.
- Ensure that proper preventive maintenance policies are in place and support marine crew in the implementation of those policies accordingly.
- Liaise with external contractors when reviewing / optimising maintenance regimes.
- Liaise with (SCM) Buyers and Logistics to ensure spare parts requisitions are dealt with in due time in order to not jeopardize operation of the vessel(s)
- Organise operations readiness review meetings
- Liaise with Assets to ensure refurbishment and readiness of vessel equipment and ensure appropriate level of vessel equipment spare parts
- Provide offshore personnel resources to attend SIT (e.g. : deck or ROV crew)
- Prepare or if required asign resources to execute mobilisation plan, including preparation of standard vessel equipment (function test, load test, set up)
- Organise training and qualification of vessel personnel (welders qualifications, coating qualifications …)
- Ensure delivered project equipment are function-tested and calibrated with appropriate certification
- Maintain vessel and project equipment / consumables certificates file on board vessel
Logistic Support to Operations:
- Ensure logistic plan is in place and suitable for vessel.
- Crew change Organisation (offshore crew rotation planning, transfer from home airport to mobilisation quay).
- Make sure we have the right people in the correct position on the vessel (aka crew evealuations)
- Follow up procurement and delivery of consumables and critical spare parts to vessel
- Responsible for the performance of the vessel: daily monitoring and analyse of vessel progress. Identify and implement improvement measures.
- Monitoring of project and vessel consumables used by project during execution of operations and notification Management in case of shortfall.
- Accountable to the project for resolution of equipment breakdown and technical issues with assistance from Technical Entity
- Attend daily conference call with Project Operation Manager to ensure regular follow up of project needs in terms of personnel, equipment, plannin
Planning & Coordination / Control:
- Provide input to operational planning and validate sequence/duration.
- Validate sequence and associated schedule changes initiated by the project
- Maintain and aggregate overall vessel schedule incorporating all projects and other vessels activities and liaise with all parties (projects, assets, Group)
- Attend Country Operations schedule meeting held weekly.
- Optimise utilisation of vessel related resources between consecutive projects using same vessel.
- Implement NigerStar 7 HSE requirements onboard the vessel through HSE Action Plan.
- Ensure Site safety check rating are carried out on the 6 monthly basis and pending actions are closed
- Ensure Undesired Event Report (UER) is issued by the vessel and Corrective actions are implemented.
- Update and maintain Job Safety Analysis for key personnel onboard.
- Implement project HSE requirements on the vessel.
- Ensure with project that health and security provisions have been defined to cope with local risks.
- Quality Control Plan (QCP) follow-up
- Ensure Non Conformance Report (NCR) are issued and closed out as required
Feedback / Knowledge management:
- Develop NORMS and KPI reports/database
- Issue operation report, as built performance/planning.
- Organise debriefing of project operations
- Participate to feeding of Operations Experience Database
- Seek mean of continuous improvement of vessel performance – Provide input in CAPEX / OPEX process.
- Operate within Code of Business Conduct
- Authority to be agreed with the Country Operations Manager for general ship process improvements and the individual Project Managers for project specific delegated mob / de-mob issues as specified on the project mob / de-mob plan.
Key Relationships/ Stakeholders
- Sub-contractor & services suppliers (for transit and M&R phases)
- Offshore Manager
- Field Engineer
- Technical Entity
- Project Operations managers
- Offshore Staffing
- Country HSE management
- Country P&O Management (in which operations take place)
- Country Engineering management
- Country Supply Chain Management (for transit and M&R phases)
- Country Operations Project Support (for Tenders)
- Country Sales & Marketing Management (for Tenders)
- OR cost control
- The Vessel Operations Manager will be based in the NigerStar 7 office in the geographical country, where the ship is conducting work.
- The VOM is expected to follow the ship at all times to ensure Projects have full access to the VOM in person.
- The VOM will be expected to visit the ship each time that it mobilises / de-mobilises in port and regularly during offshore operations.
- Third-level technical or similar university degree
- 8 years of experience in offshore industry
- Proven experience managing Anchor Handling Tugs and Cargo Barges.
- Proven ability to solve operational problems without supervision and deliver effective results to internal clients.
- Common sense approach to work, which incorporates and embraces all aspects of the NigerStar 7 HSES and Quality policies. The VOM must be able to demonstrate a high standard of HSE and Quality leadership in work behaviours.
- Strong organisational capacities
- Outstanding communication (who can interface and is at ease equally with managers or members of the workforce) and leadership skills
- Fluent in English
How To Apply