Full-time United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF): National Communication Consultant Vacancy
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
The Job : National Communication Consultant
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Job Number: 513477
Work Type: Consultancy
Contract Duration: Contract will be for a total duration of 11 months
Purpose for the Job
- Under the supervision of the Chief of Communications, with reporting line to the WASH Specialist, the communication consultant (national of Nigeria) will develop and ensure effective implementation of the Open Defecation Free Nigeria communication campaign of UNICEF Nigeria. More specifically, the consultant will be responsible for providing visibility to activities and results in a timely and efficient manner.
- The consultant will develop communication materials to support advocacy needs of the WASH Section of UNICEF Nigeria.
- The consultant will also develop and promote stories, including human interest stories and other materials for sharing with partners.
- The consultant will also organize and support field visits of journalists of media professional to ensure visibility of activities and project results.
- The Consultant will be based in the UNICEF Nigeria Country Office, Abuja and will work closely with the Federal Ministry of Water Resources; the Media; Communication agencies as well as UNICEF National and Field Office colleagues.
- The tasks will involve travelling to States, LGAs and Communities for consultation with relevant government partners and UNICEF colleagues.
Major Tasks to be Accomplished
Under the supervision of the Communication Section, and in close coordination with the WASH Specialist, the consultant will work in UNICEF Abuja, with field visits to UNICEF Field Offices. The Communication consultant will be accountable for and carry out the following task in fulfilling the expectations of this post:
- Develop and lead implementation of communication plan for End Open Defecation in Nigeria communication campaign:
- Develop the communication plan through a participatory process
- Based on the communication plan, design and finalize effective advocacy and communication materials for the campaign, and other needs of WASH section.
- Work with technical colleagues to identify gaps in information required for visibility and ensure those gaps are adequately filled
- Support the development of quality communication materials (leaflets, radio, video clips and TV spots etc.) for promoting key advocacy messages
- Undertake other relevant tasks such as language-editing of technical reports, policy briefs and briefing notes
- Use of social media, video, photography to document to share project successes
- Write and finalize human interest stories
- Support documentation for visibility of the WASH activities and results for advocacy:
- Provide inputs on communication activities for donor reports, ensuring accurate and timely submission
- Develop communication products (presentations, human interest stories, and social media posts); plan and ensure execution of photo shoots and video products with UNICEF-hired photographers and videographers
- Plan and support organization of special events and high-level field visits by donors and UNICEF partners
- Ensure donor visibility and donor mention in communication products and activities
- Undertake other tasks in support of communication and advocacy needs of education section, as per planning with communication section
Qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience required
- Advanced degree in communication, journalism, mass-media, advertising, public relations, or related field. In the absence of advance degree, additional 3 years of experience will be necessary.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in communication, journalism, advertisement, creative writing or external relations
- Experienced in planning and rolling out communication campaigns
- Experienced with communicating using social media platforms.
- Experienced with planning and executing work-plans.
- Strong writing and analytical skills using diverse tools and computer applications.
- Fluency in English language and writing skills.
How To Apply