Full-time The Federal Ministry of Communications Ongoing Recruitment
The Federal Ministry of Communications has been notified of an existing vacancy at the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Geneva, Switzerland. ITU is the leading United Nations agency for information and communication technologies.
The Job : Technology Coordinator
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Vacancy Notice No: 24P-2017/BDT-IEE/EXTERNAL
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Post Number: TD35/P4/344
Duration of Contract: 2 years with possibility of renewal for 2 additional years
Type of Appointment: Fixed-term Appointment
The Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) is responsible for the organization and coordination of the work of the Telecommunication Development Sector of the Union (the Union has three functional sectors: Standardization, Radiocommunication and Development) which deals mainly with development policies, strategies, programming, as well as technical cooperation activities (expert missions, training programmes, field projects, seminars, etc.).
- Within the Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) of the ITU and in close collaboration with the Deputy to the Director and the ITU Regional Offices, the Infrastructure, Enabling Environment and E-Applications Department (IEE) is responsible for assisting ITU Member States and ITU-D Sector Members with the utilization of appropriate technologies to build or extend their telecommunication infrastructure and adapt to the rapidly changing telecommunication/ICT environment.
- This includes the provision of guidelines and tools for the development of policy and regulatory frameworks, financing policies and strategies, development of telecommunication networks, the use of reliable and cost-effective ICT applications, cybersecurity, broadcasting and spectrum management.
- The Department is also responsible for promoting access to, as well as use and knowledge of, telecommunications and ICTs for groups which have been marginalized in their access to current mainstream information communications technology services, including women and girls, children and youth, indigenous people, persons with disabilities and people living in remote communities.
- The Department is also responsible for making contribution to and following-up the work of ITU-D Study Groups for issues related to the responsibilities of the Department.
Duties / Responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Head of Telecommunications Network & Spectrum Management Division (TND) the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Proposes and develops strategies, guidelines and models to assist developing countries in deploying appropriate regulatory frameworks, telecommunication technologies and business practices to ensure universal access to telecommunication services.
- Contributes to the preparation of manuals, guides and appropriate software specifications for broadband, spectrum management, Internet protocol and exchange point to assist ITU Member countries in building their national telecommunication systems and implementation of training programmes on computerized telecommunication applications.
- Provides specialized inputs to ITU-D Study Group, WSIS Action Lines; acts as a focal point for Study Group questions and WSIS Action Lines relevant to his/her specialization.
- Organizes, manages and participates in specialized seminars, symposia and meetings, presenting relevant papers in the field of his/her specialty.
- Provides support, services and advice, as a specialist including:
- Information and advice on elements of general telecommunications for public and specialized networks and development projects in areas concerned;
- Coordination of services for the establishment of Network Planning Systems within ITU Member and the ITU-D sector Members, including establishment of regional training centres;
- Equipment specifications in collaboration with requesting ITU Members and ITU-D Sector Members;
- System evaluations and/or technical evaluations of tenders for equipment;
- Contribution to the selection of experts when needed, monitoring of their work and controlling the quality of their mission outputs/final reports.
- Identifies, negotiates and promotes opportunities for partnership and collaboration with national and international organizations, development banks, academic and research institutions and the private sector in implementing the relevant programmes of the ITU Development Sector.
- Keeps abreast of best practices and new developments in the field of expertise and makes innovative proposals.
- Identifies training needs of developing countries in relation to the relevant programmes of the ITU Development Sector in order to promote capacity building; organizes and manages training programmes and workshops in capacity building activities in close cooperation with the HCB Unit.
- Represents ITU in discussions and meeting related to areas of expertise.
- Performs any other related duties that may be assigned to him/her by the supervisor.
- Advanced university degree in Telecommunication (Law, Economics, Political or Social Sciences) or a related field OR education in a reputed college of advanced education with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of an advanced university degree in one of the fields above.
- For internal candidates, a first university degree in one of the fields above in combination with ten years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree for promotion or rotation purposes.
- At least seven years of progressively responsible experience in the above fields, including at least three at the international level. A Doctorate in a related field can be considered as a substitute for three years of working experience.
- Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage. (Under the provisions of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration.)
- Good writing skills including the ability to draft precise and complete analytical reports, projects, proposals and documents.
- Good knowledge of the impact of the introduction of telecommunications and its applications, focusing on technologies, regulatory approaches, economic solutions, and organizational approaches in different contexts and designing appropriate training programme.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain good international and working relations with officials at all levels in administrations, national and international organizations, interacting and cooperating with individuals from different cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to use knowledge, experience and technical skills to address specific developmental situations, as well as the ability to analyze large amounts of data to provide viable technical and operational solutions.
- Ability to provide innovative solutions, while working with developing countries in rural and remote areas and engaging partners from national and international organizations as well as the private sector.
- Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and pension fund deductions) in US dollars and a post adjustment (PA) (cost of living allowance). The PA is variable and subject to change without notice in accordance with the rates as set within the UN Common System for salaries and allowances.
- Annual salary from $70,647 + post adjustment $ 57,295
- Other allowances and benefits subject to specific terms of appointment, please refer to http://www.itu.int/en/careers/Pages/Conditions-of-Employment.aspx
How To Apply
Candidates should also forward their applications to the Federal Ministry of Communications via the following address putting into consideration the “Offline Application Closing Date” stated above:
The Secretary General,
International Telecommunication Union (ITU),
Place De Nations,
CH-1211 Geneva 20,
The Honourable Minster,
Federal Ministry of Communications,
2nd Floor, Annex III,
Federal Secretariat Complex,
Attention: Director (Spectrum Management)
Note: The closing dates as stated above are for the two method of applications (Online and Offline) candidates are advised to take note of these dates.