Full-time Redeemers University: Project Managers Vacancy
The Federal Government of Nigeria granted an operating licence to the Redeemer’s University on Friday 7th January, 2005.
The University took off at the temporary site in the Redemption Camp on 11th October 2005 with 478 students admitted into three Colleges.
Four Hundred and Seventy Three (473) students matriculated into the Colleges to pursue Bachelor Degrees in various programmes on 1st February, 2006.
The Job : Project Managers
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Redeemer’s University, Ede, Osun State, Nigeria
-Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital, Irrua, Edo State, Nigeria
-Ikorodu General Hospital, Ikorodu, Lagos State, Nigeria
We are seeking a motivated person, with outstanding management skills and passion for global health, to coordinate activities of a ~$5 million dollar research effort on the Genomic Characterization and Surveillance of Microbial Threats in West Africa. The Project Manager will work directly with the Project Director, Professor Christian Happi (African Center of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases, Redeemer’s University, Nigeria) and Professor Pardis Sabeti (Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard University, USA), crossing the boundaries of science, education, and global health.
With funding from the National Institutes of Health/H3Africa Consortium (NIH/H3Africa) and the World Bank, and building upon a long-term partnership between major academic and clinical centers in anglophone and francophone countries of West Africa, we established in 2013 the African Center of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Disease (ACEGID), a platform that is training the next generation of African genomic scientists across the region and contributing to our understanding of circulating threats and outbreak response. We have led work to enable Lassa and Ebola diagnosis clinical features, transmission and characterize their genetic diversity. We have established massively-parallel sequencing platforms in Nigeria, Senegal and Sierra Leone, using it to identify novel circulating viruses and investigate viral outbreaks.
The Project Manager, based at Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital (ISTH), Irrua, Edo State, will manage multifaceted projects and staff located at various sites, including in Ikorodu General Hospital in Lagos, and Redeemer’s University, Ede, Osun State. The project includes activities in the US, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and Senegal. The Project Manager will travel a few times a year to oversee research activities in the regional collaborating centers. We are looking for someone with an advanced degree (MBA, MPH, MSc, PhD, MD) with 2-5 years of project management experience, and with some scientific or global health education or experience. The Project Manager must be an ambitious, detail-oriented problem solver who can efficiently manage people, projects, and budgets. Candidates should have familiarity working with large, complex data sets compiled across different data platforms. Comfort navigating complicated issues such as conducting multi-site human subjects research is a plus. Ideal candidates will also have proficiency in optimizing a pipeline of work, such as moving samples from collection to genotyping. The job requires adherence to the project’s vision, meticulous attention to detail, and the ability to build and maintain good long-distance relationships that span many cultures.
- Works with project scientists and chaperones to document and facispantate understanding of project plans that include:
- goals related to project scope, quality, timeline, and cost
- anticipated obstacles and implementation strategies
- roles and responsibilities;
- plans for monitoring and reporting progress
- Works in collaboration with partners at Irrua Speciaspanst Teaching Hospital (Nigeria), IkoroduGeneral Hospital (Nigeria), Kenema Government Hospital (Sierra Leone), Cheikh Anta Diop University (Senegal), the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard (USA), Harvard University (USA), Tulane University (USA) and to ensure timely completion of project milestones:
- Plan and track logistics for performance of studies
- Actively work with collaborators to improve project infrastructure and management
- Prepare, submit, and keep up-to-date all IRB/MTA/DUA approvals for projects
- Oversee and keep up-to-date lab safety and human subjects certifications for research study staff
- Oversee sample and data management and other project documentation
- Manage budgets for multiple project funding sources approaching a total of ~$5M
- Monitor procurement and maintain financial oversight of domestic and international spending
- Assists with the preparation of proposals, reports and quarterly and annual review materials for funding agencies and collaborators.
- Other tasks as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, life sciences, finance or a related field required, with 2-5 years of relevant management experience
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and monitor projects
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must have the ability to interact with an interdisciplinary group including international collaborators, global health researchers, research scientists, and data analysts
- Advanced degree such as MBA, MPH, MSc desired
- Experience in global health or genetics desired
- Experience in managing funder/sponsor relations desired
- Formal training in project management or management desired
How To Apply
There is a 5 year minimum commitment for this position.
Apply Online and also submit your résumé and cover letter to Adebayo Amao (firstname.lastname@example.org). When submitting your documents by email, please use the following subject line: H3AFRICA PROJECT MANAGER JOB POSTING_SURNAME. Documents submitted without this subject line will not be considered.
We will begin reviewing candidates on a rolling basis as applications are received.