Full-time Project Manager – (UAS – LCB) at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
The Job : Project Manager – (UAS – LCB)
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Reports Directly to: Director of Northeast Programs
Program / Department Summary
- The “Using Airwaves for Stability in the Lake Chad Basin” (UAS – LCB) Project is aimed to support Dandal Kura Radio International (DKRI), a Kanuri-language radio station operating in the Lake Chad Basin region through studios in Maiduguri and N’Djamena (reaching audiences in North East Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Niger).
- The support would include coordination with DKRI to produce and air news, current affairs and special content programming to increase understanding of, and support for, the de-radicalization, rehabilitation and reintegration of current and former members of violent extremist groups.
- This project will result in reduced support for violence, greater openness to reintegrating returning ex-combatants into communities and greater community agency to drive their futures with accurate, credible information.
General Position Summary
- The UAS-LCB Project Manager is responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the project including close cooperation with the DKRI staff to ensure delivery of all project results.
- The Project Manager will work closely with the Director of NE Programs, Head of Office, and support staff (including finance, operations, and administration) to ensure that activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality. UAS-LCB Project Manager reports directly to the Director of NE Programs.
- Among other key functions of the Project Manager is to support the research on impact of radio messages, and carry out assessment and monitoring activities with a view to ensure the achievement of the planned project impact.
- S/he will lead and organize a series of policy dialogues to discuss the findings of the research and develop strategic communication plans, ensure dissemination of the research findings, and mobilizing government officials for strategic communications trainings.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Oversee the full program cycle for project activities: start-up, implementation, and close-out of the project;
- Develop activity workplans and manage day-to-day activity implementation;
- Ensure that program implementation meets targets, and is carried out in line with best practices;
- Establish strong working relationships with DKRI to jointly develop and implement strategies to achieve maximum impact of the project;
- Communicate regularly with the team of researchers on the design and implementation of the radio messaging impact evaluation, provide all needed support;
- Liaise with government officials to organize and facilitate policy dialogues to discuss the finding of the research and incorporating into strategic communication plans;
- Mobilize government officials for strategic communication workshops, identify consultants to deliver the trainings, and work with them to ensure that the curriculum is in line with the project and participants’ needs;
- Set up and maintain effective program reporting, and monitoring and evaluation systems (to track, analyze and report on results) for both internal and external use;
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate;
- Ensure program filing system is in place, adheres to internal and donor regulation and filing is regularly maintained;
- Adhere to all MC policies related to security, operations and transport/ logistics information related to programming.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with all donor and Mercy Corps regulations;
- Proactive follow-up on reconciliation of project performance data from DKRI;
- Oversee the budget spending and project monthly cash flow.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its mission;
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Works Directly With:
- Head of Office, MEL, Finance, Program and Operation teams.
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in Development Studies, Social Sciences, Statistics or relevant field, with a strong foundation in monitoring and evaluation.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working on development, implementation, administration and compliance of a field-based international development or humanitarian program; specifically in governance, strategic communications and/or peacebuilding/countering violent extremism (CVE).
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, other international organizations, the media and the public.
- Strong experience with running assessments, monitoring and evaluation and other learning efforts required.
- Experience designing and implementing research initiatives is desirable.
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing.
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience working in North East Nigeria preferred.
- Fluency in written and verbal English required.
- Fluent oral communication skills in Hausa [L1] and Kanuri required.
- Must be able to work independently and show initiative. Strong leadership, communication, and management skills are essential.
- Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
How To Apply
Applicants should send their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected] All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position