Full-time Project Manager (MHPSS) at the International Organization for Migration (IOM)
International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Job : Project Manager (MHPSS)
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) has been implementing Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) projects in North East Nigeria since 2014.
- The programme seeks to address the psychosocial needs of the displaced populations and their host communities, affected by the on-going emergency.
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator (Emergency Response (ER)) and the technical supervision of the Head, Mental Health Psychosocial Response and Intercultural Communication Section, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing Mental Health and Psychosocial Support portfolio as part of IOM’s humanitarian response in North East Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Ensure strict adherence to the project scope and activities as set forth in the approved project proposal.
- Manage the overall implementation of the programme on a timely manner.
- Supervise and monitor technically and administratively the programme team (Mobile Teams,
- Project Officers, Project Assistant, Project Coordinator and consultants).
- Provide technical guidance and oversight to the activities of the IOM programme and of local non-government organizations (NGOs) supported by the programme, including the
- implementation of needs assessments, intervention protocols, direct assistance provisions and education.
- Oversee and organize the implementation of capacity building of staff, mobile teams, Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) and other humanitarian actors, government officials and NGOs personnel. Liaise with academic national and international partners, when needed.
- Develop curricula for the above, as well as tools to monitor the quality of the trainings.
- Ensure and facilitate close coordination and liaison with all governmental and non-governmental counterparts. In particular:
- Liaise with national authorities and professionals, including Ministry of Social Affairs, Ministry of Health (MoH) and Academic institutions, both at Central and Borno State level;
- Represent IOM in Mental Health of Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) coordination meetings, and other relevant coordination meetings (Child Protection, Gender-Based Violence (GBV), and Protection).
- Administratively supervise and coordinate with the IOM chair of the Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC)-Government of Nigeria (GoN) MHPSS Coordination group.
- Respond to information requests and coordinate the development of further project proposals based on emerging and identified needs in the psychosocial domain in Nigeria, within and beyond the emergency response.
- Establish or strengthen the monitoring and evaluation system, regarding psychosocial activities.
- Facilitate, in strict coordination with the MHPSS Section at IOM Headquarters (HQs), the largescale information sharing and publication of this project.
- Ensure proper documentation of every step of the project including regular reporting to the donor as required in the donor agreement.
- Ensure donor visibility including focus on funding and budgetary aspects of the project.
- Ensure the integration of cross-cutting issues such as gender, children, and other vulnerable groups are considered in the programme.
- Undertake frequent duty travel to very challenging areas.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Psychology, Social Work or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional accreditation with a recognized psychological or psychotherapeutic or counselling or social work association-society a distinct advantage.
- Graduate studies in Business and Administration a distinctive advantage.
- Experience in designing, managing psychosocial support programmes in emergency situation;
- Experience in providing psychosocial support in emergency situation;
- Experience in a complex humanitarian emergency or post-conflict environment;
- Knowledge and experience in facilitating training and developing curricula;
- Experience in clinical counselling psychology, or psychotherapy and counselling for social workers an asset;
- Participation to IOM corporate programme in Psychosocial Interventions in Emergency and displacement will be considered an asset;
- Familiarity with the region an advantage;
- Proficient in MS Office applications and basic knowledge of SPSS.
- Languages: Fluency in English is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How To Apply