Full-time Plan International Nigeria: Security officer Vacancy
Plan International Nigeria is part is the global federation of Plan International and was registered as a National Organization in 2014 in Nigeria. Plan International works in 52 developing Countries across
Africa, Asia and the Americas. Plan’s Global Strategic Goals (2017-2022) is to advance Children’s Rights and Equality for Girls ad our Ambition is, “together, we take action so that 100 million girls learn, lead,
decide and thrive”. We reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalised through the delivery of high-quality programmes that deliver long-lasting benefits to
children and their communities.
The Job : Security officer
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Functional Area Safety and Security
Reports to Safety and Security Manager
Location Abuja andMaiduguri
Travel required Frequent
Effective Date April 2018 Grade C2
The Security Officer will be responsible for the assessments, security related guidance and enforce implementation of security policies, guidelines and procedures for the Humanitarian Response Program
with the support of the Safety and Security Manager
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
This will involve, but is not limited to: promoting a culture of security; security incident reporting; security guard oversight and management; monitoring and analysing the security situation in the states of
humanitarian response, supporting the development and implementation of Security related Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in the Adamawa and Borno field offices. The scope of responsibility is for
both Plan International and all authorised visitors.
- Programme development & Quality Management
- Advise Humanitarian/ country office staff Unit on all aspects of security, management issues and trends in the North East
- With support from Security Advisor develop/maintain an appropriate framework of security measures and standard operating procedures (SSOPs), which will increase Plan International Nigeria’s overall
- capacity to protect staff, programs, and property for the humanitarian response
- Ensure that Plan International Nigeria SSOPs reflect risk levels referenced in Plan’s Global Security Policy and ensure SSOPs are compliant with all Plan’s policies
- Manage the day-to- day operations of security management i.e. guard oversight/management/direction; identification, documentation, analysis and follow up of security
- threats/incidents; monitoring SSOP compliance; staff/vehicle movement control, etc for the humanitarian response
- At the state level, lead the response to all security threats/incidents in a timely, professional and appropriate manner
- Review existing Security Risk Assessments (SRAs) and conduct same routinely in the two North East states of Plan’s Humanitarian response operational locations as well as whenever the security situation changes and advice programming
- Monitor and suggest ongoing improvements to existing security warning systems and produce the report to updates/alerts etc., then analyse available information with respect to potential impact to
- Plan International Nigeria and inform staff /management accordingly of security risks.
- Ensure regular communication with all project leads.
- Regular attendance at relevant security meetings and forums for the North East.
- Report on security incidents/threats to Security Advisor on a regular basis (including analysis of trends) and focal persons at the district level
- Review physical security arrangements including insurance for staff and assets (e.g. vehicles) in collaboration with relevant managers such as P&C, Operations Managers etc, on a regular basis and
- implement action plans to improve/correct as/when required
- Develop and test contingency plans based on results and anticipation of security threat/risk
- assessments and develop staff preparedness/capacity to respond, staffing collaboration with focal
- persons at the district/PU level
- Ensure that regular safety and security trainings are conducted with relevant field staff
- Build the capacity of all staff on security including health and safety aspects under P&C leadership/ownership
- Assess communications needs and recommend improvements/technological aspects to make sure that all equipment’s are working and in good condition such as generator(s), radios, satellite phones, etc.
- Assume any other responsibility as assigned by the supervisor.
Human Resource Development
- Supports the training of Staff and partners on security protocols and practices.
- Learning and knowledge management
- Providing appropriate development tools/knowledge to staff on security and safety such as: provision of training for security guards; induction on Security to all Plan staff and maintain Security
- Briefing for all visitors.
- Ensure utilization, proper documentation and dissemination of the following below:
- Security Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Security Risks Assessments (SRAs)
- Security and Safety Management Plan (SSMP)
- Security Incident Logs and Reports and trend analysis
- Quarterly Security Report
- Loss/Incident Notification Form
- Resource Mobilization
- Support resource mobilization efforts through contribution to proposal design and budget
- preparation to ensure security considerations are properly captured.
- Dealing with Problems
- Use Plan procedures to settle conflicts among colleagues;
- Resolve problems that are not covered by established process.
- Analyse possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to get them resolved.
- Refer, whenever necessary, the case to Supervisor or other management colleague for
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Prepare and submit relevant project security briefs based on agreed timelines to supervisor.
- Regularly disseminate security briefs to Plan international Nigeria colleagues, and other Plan
- International Staff and associates as necessary.
- Provide timely responses concerning security queries linked with relevant project implementation.
- Report to the Safety and Security Manager
- Work amicably with other Plan International Nigeria staff to ensure effective and efficient
- Programme delivery.
- Keep Head of Health programs copied on all correspondence for BORN and SHOW projects.
- Establish and maintain regular security networks with different partner organizations working in Nigeria.
Knowledge, Skills and
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and
- requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and
- associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns
- are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Strong knowledge and experience in occupational security and health & safety operations
- Ability to prioritise and manage complex and varied workloads, often to tight deadlines, in a dynamic, fragile and multi-cultural setting
- Ability to guide staff with limited security capacity
- Ability to predict and respond to security threats/incidents
- Strong diplomatic, interpersonal, and trouble-shooting skills including negotiation and influencing
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders
- Energetic and motivated individual, with a proven track record of undertaking similar assignments
- Strategic and critical skills – but also focused on operational results and ‘getting things done’
- Commitment to continuous learning; willingness to keep abreast of new developments in security
- Able to work independently but also collaborate closely within teams
- Ability to establish and sustain strong working relationships with Plan colleagues and in the broader Nigeria community/context
- Culturally and socially sensitive
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
- We are open and accountable
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
- We strive for lasting impact
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
- We work well together
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
- Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
- We are inclusive and empowering
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
i. Based in Maiduguri and Abuja with travel to the field program location and other Plan field offices
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN
How To Apply
To view the Job Description, open the link per position, submit a CV and a comprehensive cover letter setting your reasons for applying for the post and outline qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills that you
feel you can bring to the role to: [email protected]
Indicate the job title and location as subject of the mail, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer ad does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities. Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent
children from all forms of abuse. Women are encouraged to apply.
Register&upload resume via apply online