Full-time Malaria Consortium: LGA Cluster Supervisor Vacancy
Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
The Job : LGA Cluster Supervisor
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Length of contract: 2 years
Role type: National
Travel involved: 40% within the State
Child safeguarding level: 3
Reporting to: State Manager
Direct reports: N/a
Country and Project Background
The Nigeria Country Office in Abuja, started operations in 2008, through the DFID/UKaid funded support to National Malaria Programme, SuNMaP (2008 – 2016). The office had presence in 23 states of the country and has managed at various times, about 15 projects. It follows the mandate of the parent organization in Nigeria and has been working specifically in the following areas:
- Malaria control/Elimination
- Integrated community case management (iCCM) for malaria, pneumonia and diarrhoea
- Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs)
- Malaria Consortium has recently received funding to implement SMC in three West African countries including Nigeria. In Nigeria, malaria consortium has decided to use the fund to continue SMC implementation in the 4 states it has been supporting since 2013 with UNITAID (Sokoto and Zamfara), DFID (Katsina and Jigawa) and BMSMC (Katsina) funds.
- Under this new funding and any anticipated additional funding, all Malaria Consortium SMC activities in county will be consolidated into a single project and managed by Senior Project Manager who will report to the Country Programme Manager.
- The Cluster Supervisor will support the microplanning and implementation of project activities at LGA level, with health facilities and communities at LGA level in the supported States (Jigawa, Katsina, Sokoto and Zamfara) in Nigeria.
- S/He will support the planning and coordinating activities such as training, supervision, reporting of activities, as well as the relationship and communication with key actors at LGA level, under the supervision of the Malaria Consortium SMC LGA Coordinator.
- The post is based at state level, with frequent travel to LGA/health Facilities and communities.
Scope of work
- The position holder will support the microplanning and coordination of activities at LGA level, including maintaining close communication, participate in key activities such as planning, training and supervision of SMC as well as the reporting of data to the State manager.
Key working relationships
- The Cluster Supervisor is line managed by the State Programme Manager, who maintains most on-going communication and planning for the position holder.
- The position holder also maintains relationships with the country office departments, including finance and logistics. Key external relationships are with staff at the state Malaria Control Programme and with LGA health staff.
LGAs activities (60%):
- Support the coordination of SMC activities in the supported LGAs by Malaria Consortium:
- Assist the LGAs and health facilities in planning for SMC activities
- Assist in SMC administration, training and supervision at LGA level
- Assist in the elaboration of a work plan for SMC which is consistent with budget and microplans
- Identify and participate in meetings on coordination with actors engaged in various activities in health LGAs covered by Malaria Consortium
- Identify and participate in meetings at LGA level focused on malaria and community level activities.
- Participate in meetings and trainings organized by other partners in the relevant LGAs.
- Assist the Malaria Consortium SMC LGA Coordinator in the coordination of plans and communication between LGA health authorities and Malaria Consortium on progress and challenges
- Assist in quantification on needs for SBCC materials and inputs for SMC delivery
- Track and report on progress against the work plan.
Distribution of SP+AQ and SMC delivery (20%):
- Assist in the planning and quantification of materials required for SMC delivery and quantification for SP+AQ and distribution of SP+AQ to ensure no stock-outs at any level or time during SMC campaign in his/her supported LGAs
- Participate and report on SMC activities at LGAs level on the consumption of materials for SMC delivery (cards, tally sheets) and SP+AQ to ensure smooth delivery
- Support and ensure proper supervision of the CHWs and health facility staff/in charge.
Reporting and documentation (20%):
- Ensure that data are collected and transmitted from health facilities to LGAs and to the Malaria Consortium M&E Officer and the State Manager
- Ensure that the State Coordinator have received in good time information regarding LGAs activities and potential risks or situations that could impact on SMC activities, also indirectly, specifically related to communication, training, supervision
- Provide on time drugs reconciliation report at the end of each round of SMC distribution for his/her supported LGAs
- Undertake all other tasks as necessary and instructed by the supervisor.
Person Specification, Qualifications and Experience
- Training in nursing or public health
- Five year’s experience of working in public health
- Experience working at LGAs and/or community level.
- Experience working on campaign style interventions (delivery of interventions or social mobilization).
Work-based skills and competencies
- Good understanding of the Nigeria health system
- Understanding of communication for behaviour change and social mobilisation
- Team player and demonstrated ability to work within a team as well as individually
- Ability to travel to LGAs outside of state at least 40% of the time
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Excellent communication skills in English and Hausa.
Delivering results (Level C – Supports others to achieve results):
- Displays a positive and enthusiastic approach and is not deterred by setbacks, finding alternative ways to reach goals or targets
- Supports others to plan and deliver results
- Supports others to manage and cope with setbacks.
Analysis and use of information (Level A – Gathers information and identifies problems effectively):
- Interprets basic written information
- Attentive to detail
- Follows guidelines to identify issues
- Recognises problems within their remit
- Uses appropriate methods for gathering and summarising data.
Interpersonal and communications (Level B – Fosters two-way communication):
- Recalls others’ main points and takes them into account in own communication
- Checks own understanding of others’ communication by asking questions
- Maintains constructive, open and consistent communication with others
- Resolves minor misunderstandings and conflicts effectively.
Collaboration and partnering (Level B – Collaborates effectively across teams):
- Proactive in providing and seeking support from expert colleagues
- Raises difficult issues with teams/ partners and stakeholders with a view to positive resolution
- Proactive in building a rapport with a diverse range of people.
Leading and motivating people (Level C – Effectively leads and motivates others or direct reports):
- Gives regular, timely and appropriate feedback
- Acknowledges good performance and deals with issues concerning poor performance
- Carries out staff assessment and development activities conscientiously and effectively
- Develop the skills and competence of others through the development and application of skills
- Coaches and supports team members when they have difficulties.
Flexibility/ adaptability (Level A – Recognises own stress levels and adapts):
- Recognises limitations and takes steps to manage any resulting pressure or stress
- Remains focussed on objectives and goal in a rapidly changing environment
- Takes responsibility for own work and for the impact of own actions.
Living the values (Level B – Promotes Malaria Consortium values amongst peers):
- Shows a readiness to promote Malaria Consortium’s values amongst peers
- Promotes ethical and professional behaviour in line with Malaria Consortium’s values.
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness (Level A – Manages own workload effectively):
- Plans and manages own workload effectively
- Is familiar with Malaria Consortium’s mission and current strategic plan.
N3,830,400 gross per annum.
How To Apply