Full-time Logistics/Security Officer at Intersos Nigeria
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
The Job : Logistics/Security Officer
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
SUPERVISOR: Programme Manager
LOCATION: Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria
Overview: The Logistics/Security Officer (L/SO) will provide logistics and security support to theemerg e nc y response in Maiduguri, Nigeria, and ensure that appropriate and sustainable systems ar eestablished and local staff trained. The L/SO will ensure smooth operations of transportation,preventive and necessary maintenance of vehicles, facilities in Borno office and residences, andtimely and cost-effective procurement of quality goods. S/he will assess the security of theope rational environment and maintain an effective security management system in accordance withorganisation security standards.
- Assess programne activities and their impact on staff security and make recommendations to reduce staff vulnerability.
- Check with external agencies (UN, government offices, police) and internal sources (other staff, radio, foreign embassies) on security situation for daily operations and advise the
- Programme Manager on daily decisions related to staff movements and precautions.
- Keep security procedures updated and communicated to all staff.
- Maintain an up-to- date security plan consistent with the organisation’s standards and ensure that all staff are familiar with its content and support the Programme Manager in
- enforcement of those standards.
- Develop and implement a security training plan for all staff; develop and apply evaluation processes to determine that training competencies are met.
- Provide guidance to the Programme Manager on vehicle management policies; ensure vehicle inspection procedures are applied and all vehicles are properly equipped; train
- drivers in established procedures and requisite skills.
- Ensure that the organisation’s storage facilities are secure and properly managed including proper inventory records.
- Regularly assess communications needs at post, ensure availability of appropriate communications technology, and update the emergency communication contact list; orient
- all staff to emergency communication procedures and technology; test the emergency communication system regularly, analyse results, and make appropriate revisions.
- Review monthly vehicle log sheets and prepare monthly report of fuel and maintenance of vehicle.
- Oversee implementation in Borno of procurement policies and procedures. Track goods received and delivered by item, cost, area of distribution, beneficiaries, donors.
- Develop security briefing materials and ensure that all new employees, international or national, receive appropriate security orientation within 72 hours of arrival in the field.
- Strengthen and apply office and residential facilities’ security standards and selection procedures.
- Liaise with the Regional Security Advisor as well as UN and NGO security personnel.
- Ensure proper use of the security incident reporting system; apply the analytical framework to incident data; and share information among staff and with other NGOs, as
- Conduct security assessments in new areas of Borno State prior to entry by the organisation’s programme staff.
- Prepare regular reports for as requested by the Programme Manager.
- Supervise logistics and security staff members and ensure proper training as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or at least 5-7 years comparable related experience; Minimum 5 years’ progressive non-profit work experience with international humanitarian assistance
- programmes, supervisory experience; Minimum 2 years’ security management experience in international humanitarian, military or police setting. Advanced level of understanding of various
- communications technologies, including VHF and HF radio systems, satellite phones, mobile phones, etc. Excellent English communication skills; Effective people management skills; Solid training skills;
- the ability to develop an d implement successful training sessions; Solid organisational skills; the ability to be flexible and work well under pressure in a fast-paced team environment; Knowledge oflocal language desirable.
- Requires at least 5-7 years of experience in commodities programming and logistics management in a developing country. Experience working in conflict settings and insecure environments preferred.
- Ability to lead and organise.
- Good oral and written English communication skills. Local language ability strongly desired.
- Proven ability in relating with national staff and governmental authorities.
How To Apply