Full-time International Polio Eradication and Communication for Development Consultant at the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
The Job : International Polio Eradication and Communication for Development Consultant
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Job Number: 510061
Work Type: Consultancy
Background/Purpose of Assignment
The programme has an urgent need to have intensified and sustained social communication technical support with focus on ensuring improved coordination and partnership with key community leaders of underserved populations in the very high risk States in addition to strengthen and build the capacity of all existing VCMNet structure to enrich the transition and post-polio plans. UNICEF hires international consultants; the consultants will mainly be located at Abuja with at least 15 days travel to various states with issues to fix and ultimately leading to reduction of missed children and reaching every hidden place with the required capacity of frontline workers who sustain the gains and improve health promotion and service provision at the community level.
End Product: (e.g. final report, article, document etc.)ÂÂ
- A detailed work plan at the beginning and monthly work plans thereafter (1st week of each month)
- Monthly report of activities, outcomes, mission reports and Notes for the Record (NFR) on meetings etc. (monthly)
- One report after major activity by using a supplied template on intervention and other social
- Mobilization indicators.
- One end of contract, PowerPoint presentation to be used in debriefing Chief of Field Office, Communication for Development Team and other relevant staff members.
- One end of contract Report with all required attachments.
- Facilitation of implementation of State and LGA Social Mobilization and high risk operational (HROP) Plans, Intensified Ward Communication Strategy and other such similar plans.
- Third party State Social Mobilization Consultants are technically supported.
- OPV administration barriers identified, analyzed and overcome by Social mobilization groups and key influencers. Number of missed children and proportion of Non-Compliances are reduced.
- Nigeria Community Engagement Model (NICE) implemented at all levels by all stakeholders.
- State Communication packages on PEI/RI in relevant languages are developed and implemented.
- Polio and RI, M&E reports are available at State, Field Office and Abuja levels.
- Contribution to other State reports made and shared with Field Office and Abuja.
- Clear transition plan
The primary outcomes will be:
- Quality implementation of all IPDs/Polio Supplemental Immunization Activities.
- Reduction (to almost zero) in level of non-compliance and % of missed and zero-dose children.
- Increased commitment from LGA officials through frequent feedback and engagement.
- Health workers and other service providers skilled in the use of in interpersonal communication and negotiation skills.
- Increased capacity of Social Mobilization and General Third party consultants through hands-on experience working with the Consultants.
- Social mobilization working group and committees at State & LGAs hold regular meeting and used social mobilization data for planning, monitoring and implementation.
- Improved use of social (and EPI) data in communication strategy development and planning by the state Social Mobilization Working Group members through technical supervision of the national Communication Consultant and STOP team members.
- Support for integration of key household behaviours and implementation of activities to operationalize the transitioning from Polio to other health service provision and sustainability.
Qualifications/Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required
- A university Degree in Social Sciences/Public Health/Business administration/Communication/Statistics or related technical field preferably in Communications and social mobilization. Master degree in the above fields is preferable. Working experience in Polio field, human resource development and data management or research will be an added advantage.
- At least five (5) years progressively responsible professional work experience at national and particularly international levels in programme planning, management, human resource development, monitoring and evaluation.
- Fluency in English, knowledge of another UN working language is desirable. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset.
- Experience polio eradication or working in one of currently polio endemic countries will be an added advantage.
Basic competencies include:
- Current knowledge of development issues, polio eradication, program management, capacity building, legacy strategies as well as programming policies and procedures in international development cooperation.
- Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas, as well as to impart knowledge and teach skills
- Managerial and supervisory skills.
- Good analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office application
- Demonstration of ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization
How To Apply