Full-time International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA): Head of Capacity Development Office Vacancy
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
The Job : Head of Capacity Development Office
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
- This position reports to Deputy Director General, Partnerships for Delivery.
- The Head of Capacity Development Office will be responsible for the coordination, delivery/facilitation and implementation of capacity development (CD) building services to IITA staff, and NARES aimed at strengthening their skills knowledge required to achieve agricultural transformation.
- He/she contributes to partnership, advocacy, networking and resource mobilization.
- He/she will identify and nurture such relations between IITA, government ministries and the implementing partners, focusing primarily on funding and program development.
The tasks are as follows:
- Provide technical leadership and management of capacity development of IITA, NARES and others in fulfilment of the Institute objectives.
- Lead/coordinate strategy development, implementation, and monitoring of CD activities, in collaboration with other scientists and project staff, as well as project partners; provide support to project teams technically and ensure the smooth coordination of partner capacity building.
- Manage the Capacity Development Office, including staff-development, work planning, direction and supervision, monitoring quality work, and evaluation of staff performance; set up and maintain a coordination system to achieve the best use of capacity development resources.
- Identify and develop, tools, materials and processes for specific areas/topics identified as needed for capacity development of staff and partners, which help the Institute mobilise NARES to achieve agricultural transformation.
- Establish and maintain a robust framework for measuring the impact of training provided by CDO, to include feedback from participants.
- Identify, develop and manage new income generation services and initiatives within the Capacity Development Team.
- Proactively develop concept notes and project proposals to seek out funding sources to augment the Institute’s programs in CD.
- Support collaboration and learning with implementing partners and government entities to apply emerging approaches and best practices in CD.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with partners, including senior-level officials of Governments, donors, the academic community and private corporations to promote the strategic interests of IITA.
- Contribute in the formulation, operational frameworks and implementation of youth and agriculture programs in consultation with relevant government agencies.
- Contribute to the management, operation and performance of the Partnership for Delivery Directorate to ensure it meets its targets and supports the delivery of organizational and strategic goals.
- Liaise with the HR on issues regarding staff development.
- Assist in the implementation of IITA’s ten-year strategy in so far as it relates to the activities within the Capacity Development Office.
- Any other tasks as may be assigned.
- Advanced degree in agricultural education, business administration, communications, liberal arts, human resources or related field.
- At least eight years’ experience in a relevant management position and at least eight years’ experience with developing and facilitating training programs and/or management of capacity building programs
- Strong leadership experience with a multi-disciplinary, international or research organization.
- Proven experience of capacity building and learning theory and organizational development work in multinational settings in several capacity development areas.
- Ability to articulate and present material in a professional and effective manner, to a wide range of constituents including donors, government officials, private sector, collaborators, farmers, etc.
- Ability to find and mobilise resources to support capacity building work.
- Excellent communication, networking, and inter-personal skills, including the ability to interact effectively with donors, colleagues, research institutions and partners.
- Flexibility and ability to cope with changes in priorities.
- Sound political judgment and ability to be pragmatic and diplomatic with varied players.
- Good command of written and verbal English and French with ability to articulate a strong strategic vision.
- The contract will be for an initial period of three years. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
How To Apply