Full-time HR Manager at The North East Regional Initiative (NERI) Nigeria
An International Development Organization is seeking applications from qualified Nigerian nationals for the following position
The Job : HR Manager
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Start Date: Immediately
The HR Manager will manage, develop and administer policies and programs covering several of the following: recruitment, wage and salary administration, training, employee relations, and benefits. She will prepare recommendations to top management concerning human resource policies and practices, and will work closely with line and staff management to develop human resource plans and strategies to meet organizational requirements. In this role, she will ensure that program policies and practices comply with applicable laws and regulations. Additionally, she is responsible for employment, training, motivation, and evaluation of assigned employees. This position will be based at the head office, located in Abuja, with program activities expected to be carried out in the North Eastern States.
REPORTING & SUPERVISION
The HR Manager will report to the Operations Manager and supervises two HR Officers.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and implement policies regarding human resources activities, such as recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, employee relations, and performance management.
- Process, verify, and maintain documentation relating to personnel activities, such as recruitment, training, grievances, performance evaluations, and classifications.
- Interpret and provide guidance and instruction to subordinates/peers on HR processes, policies, workflow and work unit priorities.
- Develop professional HR substantive expertise through continuous learning activities such as attending academic courses, seminars, workshops, reading professional research journals or conducting research to support program development.
- Study and analyze positions and prepare position descriptions based on job responsibility questionnaires and personal interviews; evaluate positions using established evaluation systems, determine grades and prepare records as to the validity of the evaluations.
- Record and track data from position descriptions and job salary evaluations to ensure consistency and accountability.
- Identify staff vacancies and recruit, interview, conduct candidate reference and work history authentication along with background checks and select applicants.
- Provide employees with information about policies, job duties, working conditions, wages and opportunities for promotion and employee benefits.
- Administer compensation, benefits and performance management systems and safety and recreation programs.
- Advise managers on organizational policy matters such as equal employment opportunity and sexual harassment, and recommended needed changes.
- Plan and conduct new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward organizational objectives, which includes planning and managing the onboarding process and training for all new hires. Analyze training needs to design employee development, language training and health and safety programs.
- Serve as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and administering contracts, and helping to resolve work-related problems.
- Conduct exit interviews to identify reasons for employee termination.
- When needed, contract with vendors to provide employee services such as background verification, health and life insurance, and transportation.
- Assist supervisors and staff with understanding and using the Performance Evaluation System.
- Provide oversight to the work performed by the HR Officers and ensure their duties are carried out in a timely and efficient manner.
- Mediate conflict, grievances, and harassment cases.
- Make decisions on HR issues in consultation with the Operations Manager
- Manage all HCN staff procedures on Health Insurance and National Housing Funds and Life Assurance in compliance with the Nigeria Labor Law
In Preparation of Program Closeout, Perform the Following Tasks:
- Prepare and manage staff retrenchments and severance calculation and payment request on the approach to program conclusion
- Manage the timelines and sensitivity of notifications concerning staff retrenchments
- Provide psychological counselling within period leading to staff retrenchments
- Identify, engage, procure services and oversee delivery of services to support staff to update their CVs and letters of introduction prior to retrenchment. Recommend and identify further training to support staff in roles after NERI
- Work closely with HQ to identify suitable follow-on roles in Creative for retrenched staff. Work with HR departments in other organizations to support the handover of staff as and when appropriate
- In line with USAID/OTI and Creative HR Compliance Checklist; prepare documentation and develop indexing system to transfer all HCN staff HR files and supporting documentation to HQ/Ultipro on completion of program. Compete and support audits as needed.
- Provide technical advice and support to senior management on staff planning leading onto startup for SWIFT V and/or the potential NERI follow-on
- Perform other tasks, as assigned.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- University degree in human resources, management, business administration, or related field is required
- At least five to seven years of general HR experience in a high volume, complex environment is required.
- Experience working on development funded programs will be added advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to solve challenging and complicated administrative issues.
- Experience with budgeting and cost analysis.
- Strong organization and communication skills.
- Experience in sourcing, recruiting, and interviewing professional and management candidates is required.
- Certification in human resources (PHR, SPHR, GPHR) is considered a plus.
- Experience in developing and implementing programs across complex organizations with software and systems related to sourcing and management of candidates is required
- Good communication and interpersonal skills is required.
- Considerable knowledge of employment law is a plus.
- Proficiency at using Microsoft office software: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. is required.
- Excellent record keeping and documentation skills are required
- Experience of working in a conflict environment is a plus.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Fluency in one or more of the local state languages in the North Eastern part of Nigeria
How To Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following documents
A current resume or curriculum vitae (CV) listing all job responsibilities AND
A cover letter.