Internship Graduate Intern Speechwriter at World Health Organization (WHO)
World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
The Job : Graduate Intern Speechwriter
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Job ID: 1703626
Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: Intern
Contract duration: 6 Months
WHO’s Speechwriter intern is responsible for developing high-impact communications for the WHO Country Representative (WR). This internship requires strategic thinking with the ability to deliver consistently high quality, well-written, thought-provoking materials under pressure and tight deadlines:
- Support the WR through drafting of speeches and articles, consistently ensuring a high level of accuracy and flexibility in creating, writing, and adapting content and presentation for a wide variety of audiences;
- Undertaking original research on a range of development topics including within the context of UN system and Country Cooperation Strategy, South-South and triangular strategies of UN system partners, universal health coverage, climate change, equity and health security) as needed to substantively inform the speechwriting process;
- Analyzing complex information, including statistics, financial information and other numerical, qualitative and quantitative data, to extract key messages for integration into speeches, and other communications materials as required;
- Researching audience expectations, event agenda and topics, and assist in focusing the purpose of each speech to tailor messages for maximum audience appeal and impact;
- Drafting other substantive written material for the Office of the WR as requested, including statements, briefings, op-eds, opinions, articles, talking points, key messages and other written communications. This may include targeted messages for internal communications within the United Nations or for specific stakeholders and partners;
- Maintaining an up-to-date archive of speeches and data on the WHO website;
- Extracting key messages from speeches/presentations/articles for dissemination through social media channels, in close collaboration with the Communications Officer;
- The Speechwriter will be part of a communications team in WCO Nigeria, and will report to the WR (Communication officer).
Required Skills and Experience
- Qualified/suitable intern from the field of journalism, communications, sustainable development, social science, international relations or related field with the following academic qualifications: (a) enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university Degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); graduated with a university degree as defined in (a) and (b) above and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year after the graduation.
- Excellent general understanding of public health, gender, equity and other related issues;
- Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment;
- Experience working with the Microsoft Office suite, and particularly in development of Powerpoint presentation materials;
- Familiarity with the UN system in general and/or WHO in particular are an asset.
- Proficiency in English;
- Knowledge of one of the other five official languages of the UN (French, Portuguese and Spanish) would be an asset.
- Have a good understanding of strategic communication and how it can contribute to the achievement of specific development goals;
- Possess excellent writing skills;
- Be able to write quickly, clearly and concisely;
- Ability to originate or edit written content for media and the general public;
- Knowledge of analytical tools and methods for undertaking substantive research on various policy related issues;
- Ability to engage with other parties and forge productive working relationships;
- Have an understanding of, and experience with the major social media channels;
- Be familiar with global development issues and the world of the UN.
How To Apply