Full-time Finance Development Delegate at the Norwegian Red Cross
Norwegian Red Cross – The NorCross NSD support aims to support the Nigeria Red Cross Society (NRCS) to develop effective financial management systems and capacities. This should enable NRCS to become a strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actor.
The Job : Finance Development Delegate
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of the Parliament in 1960. The Act, referred to as the Nigerian Red Cross Act of 1960. The Nigerian Red Cross Society, having been recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), was in 1961 admitted by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) as the 86th National Society. Since the early 1960’s the NRCS has always been the first line of assistance to the country in the event of natural or manmade disasters, as well as in situations of internal violence. Working with volunteers through unparalleled community network, officers at Branches and National levels, it has always made its impact felt and its responsibility of caring for humanity as a whole. In addition to these, the Society has also been active as an auxiliary to public authorities and institutions across the country.
The National Society has put in place measures that will reinforce its credibility and reaffirm the value of our humanitarian services through intense consultation with the Movement Partners and sister National Societies. New Senior Management team was recently engaged by the Governing Board, including a Secretary General, Asst. Secretary General and Senior Finance Staff to enhance the accountability and financial management systems of the National Society. The National Society has also presented its request for support on its financial management systems from the Federation, Norwegian and British Red Cross Societies.
The National Society is confident that the support to improve its financial system and processes will go a long way in achieving the desired result of the National Society capacity in Financial Management Systems, Accountability and Transparency throughout the country.
- The FD Delegate will support the NRCS in all aspects of Finance Development as set out in the job description.
- The FD Delegate position requires a strong OD background (e.g. change management, HR, leadership, strategy development and implementation etc.) in addition to a strong FD background (senior finance management or similar positions with experience from several relevant areas like financial planning, accounting, investments and/or resource mobilization).
- Assist the National Society (NS) to plan, implement and develop its financial management systems.
- Train, support and advice NRCS finance staff (including at branch level) on financial and administrative issues, including budgeting.
- Act as the lead professional in FD to ensure the provision of technical support and advice to NRCS leadership, Finance and Audit team to ensure the enhanced development and improved management of Finance and Audit units of the NRCS.
- Support the re-structuring/improvement of the finance function, processes, systems and procedures, including but not limited to review of current financial controls, rules and procedures, budget planning, reporting, accounting systems practices and management regulations.
- Be involved in the identification and selection of suitable accounting software for the NRCS.
- Disseminate the improved financial management controls and mechanisms at all levels of the NS – Headquarters, Zones, Branches and Division offices, ensuring that financial information of all activities are identified and captured in the overall NRCS financial records and systems through the enforcement of reconciliation practices.
- Review and suggest ways to improve programme budget preparation, control, reporting procedures and cash flow management, as may be required to facilitate the process of developing appropriate finance work plans.
- Implement a monthly accurate and timely financial account closing process that leads to timely reporting to the NRCS management, partners and donors, as maybe required.
- Coordinate the standardization of effective Financial Management systems in the NS and cut off timelines. This includes standard reporting financial formats and consolidation of budgets of the NS from all funding sources i.e.Partners and NRCS internal sources.
- Working with the NRCS finance department, pursue a continual dissemination of the finance manual and internal control procedures and ensure its compliance in functional terms.
- Assess the current skills and competencies of NRCS finance staff, identify skill gaps and training needs that would be pursued to address the gaps.
- Working with the NRCS staff and following up with the external auditors, develop a strategic plan and steps for addressing issues raised in the management letter.
- Together with the NRCS Finance Manager, ensure that consolidated annual financial statements are prepared and audited on a timely basis.
- The FD Delegate position will be embedded in the NRCS and will work closely with the NRCS Finance Manager.
- The position will work in close coordination with the IFRC Cluster Office in Abuja.
Responsibility and authority:
- Work in close coordination with the relevant Movement partners in-country within NSD & FD.
- Contribute to the enhancement of the NRCS Finance Management systems and capacity.
- Foster a good working relationship with the NRCS staff and management.
- ICRC Cooperation Coordinator in collaboration with the ICRC/NSD Delegate.
- Technical reporting line to NorCross Regional FD Advisor for Africa.
Requirements, Education and Experience
- University degree in Finance/Accountancy and preferably Development studies.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience of coaching, facilitating, managing and/or supporting staff.
- Experience of working for a humanitarian aid organisation preferably in a developing country.
- Broad experience in Financial Management (senior finance management or similar positions. with experience from several relevant areas like financial planning, accounting, investments etc). Experience in Resource Mobilisation will be an asset.
- Strong OD background (e.g. change management, HR, leadership, strategy development and implementation).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- High degree of competencies in strategic thinking and design, knowledge sharing, advising and facilitating, management of self; coaching; mentoring and facilitation.
- Training and facilitating experience in international/multicultural environment.
- High degree of competencies in team work; commitment to the Norwegian Red Cross and other movement partners; integrity and personal conduct; sensitivity; flexibility and adaptability; pro-activeness; initiative and direction.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Fully familiar with software applications- windows, spreadsheets, word processing, accounting packages.
- The successful candidate will be on a Norwegian Red Cross contract, seconded to the ICRC.
- Length of contract is 12 months.
How To Apply