Full-time The Federal Ministry of Communications: Human Capacity Building Officer Vacancy
The Federal Ministry of Communications has been notified of an existing vacancy at the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Geneva, Switzerland. ITU is the leading United Nations agency for information and communication technologies.
The Job :Human Capacity Building Officer
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Vacancy Notice No: 25P-2017/BDT-PKM/EXTERNAL
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Post Number: TD44/P2/762
Duration of Contract: 2 years with possibility of renewal for 2 additional years
Type of Appointment: Fixed-term Appointment
The Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) is responsible for the organization and coordination of the work of the Telecommunication Development Sector of the Union (the Union has three functional sectors: Standardization, Radiocommunication and Development) which deals mainly with development policies, strategies, programming, as well as technical cooperation activities (expert missions, training programmes, field projects, seminars, etc.).
- Within the Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) of the ITU and in close collaboration with the Deputy to the Director and the ITU Regional Offices, the Projects and Knowledge Management Department (PKM) is responsible for assisting ITU Member States and ITU-D Sector Members strengthen the institutional and organizational capability to adapt to the rapidly changing telecommunication/ICT environment through capacity building.
- The Department also provides administrative and technical support in the formulation of project proposals and implementation of projects, project monitoring and evaluation; produces and disseminates timely statistical and analytical data on the Telecommunication/ICT Sector and the Information Society; and supports the work of ITU-D Study Groups.
- The Department is also responsible for providing concentrated assistance to least developed countries, small island developing states and landlocked developed countries. In addition, PKM implements activities and projects in the domain of emergency telecommunications, and climate change.
- The Department is also responsible for making contribution to and following-up the work of ITU-D Study Groups for issues related to the responsibilities of the Department.
Duties / Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Head, Human Capacity Building Division of the Project Support and Knowledge Management Department, BDT, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- In collaboration with ITU staff and experts in various domains, coordinates the delivery of regional and sub-regional workshops, training courses and/or e-learning activities through the ITU Academy platform.
- Through ITU Academy, coordinates the organization of training resources and promotes their use by Centres of Excellence (CoEs), Internet Training Centres and by other ITU training and development partners. In this respect, provides pedagogical support to training activities on the ITU Academy platform, such as online registrations, uploading training materials, organising chat sessions and discussion forums etc..
- Recommends upgrades of the ITU Academy platform in collaboration with the service provider and ITU IS department, and supervises the contractual agreement with the service provider.
- Supports the production of high quality training resources and materials on key telecommunications/ICT topics and integrates them as part of the ITU Academy content repository.
- Supports the promotion of the ITU Academy initiatives as a capacity building tool for ITU, including the organization of related regional and global events.
- Assists in aligning external training materials to the ITU Academy training standards.
- Supports development of multimedia training products for the ITU Academy.
- Drafts articles on e-learning development for HCB publications disseminated through the ITU website, ITU Academy pages or other electronic media or printed materials.
- Develops progress reports and statistics on training activities, including collation of training evaluations and performs any other duties.
- University degree in Business Administration, Social Science or a related field OR education in a reputed college of advanced education, with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of a university degree in one of the fields above.
- At least three years of progressively responsible experience in the field of the post.
- An advanced degree in a related field can be considered as a substitute for one year of working experience. A doctorate in related fields can be considered as a substitute for two years of working experience.
- Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage. (Under the provisions of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration.)
- Ability to draft, script and finalize training materials and resources for ITU training interventions, draft precise and analytical reports, project proposals, etc..
- Experience and knowledge of the Learning Management Systems, Content Management Systems and digital repository systems, e-learning practices and online collaboration technics using advanced communication technologies.
- Experience and knowledge of the technical cooperation activities in the developing world is required.
- Ability to initiate and maintain good working relationships with officials at all levels, and ability to establish priorities, to plan and coordinate the work with other staff members and/or partners.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts orally and to prepare written material in a clear, concise and meaningful manner.
- Excellent planning and organizing skills.
- Knowledge of working with Learning Management Systems is a distinct advantage.
- Comprehensive experience and background in subjects related to ICT and human capacity development.
- Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and pension fund deductions) in US dollars and a post adjustment (PA) (cost of living allowance). The PA is variable and subject to change without notice in accordance with the rates as set within the UN Common System for salaries and allowances.
- Annual salary from $46,026 + post adjustment $ 37,327
- Other allowances and benefits subject to specific terms of appointment, please refer to http://www.itu.int/en/careers/Pages/Conditions-of-Employment.aspx
How To Apply
Candidates should also forward their applications to the Federal Ministry of Communications via the following address putting into consideration the “Offline Application Closing Date” stated above:
The Secretary General,
International Telecommunication Union (ITU),
Place De Nations,
CH-1211 Geneva 20,
The Honourable Minster,
Federal Ministry of Communications,
2nd Floor, Annex III,
Federal Secretariat Complex,
Attention: Director (Spectrum Management)
Note: The closing dates as stated above are for the two method of applications (Online and Offline) candidates are advised to take note of these dates.