Full-time Consultant/Health Insurance Technical Specialist at Abt Associates
Abt Associates – The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
The Job : Consultant/Health Insurance Technical Specialist
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Period of performance: April – July 3l, 2018.
- Technical support to Contributory Health Management Agencies for the roll-out of the Rivers State Health Insurance Scheme and Kano State Contributory Health Management Scheme.
- Independent consultants are required; each to be resident in each of the states from the period of operation.
- This USAID funded reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health (RMNCH) project is aimed at mobilizing domestic resources for HIV/AIDS, TB and RMNCH services while ensuring transparency, accountability, and impact.
- The implementation of the SHIS has been identified as a sustainable way of ensuring adequate financing and efficiency in HIV and TB service delivery.
- The project further recognizes the need for organizational and technical capacity to effectively implement the SHIS in the three states, giving rise to the need for technical expertise in these areas and health insurance operations to facilitate effective take off and institutionalization of processes.
- Consultancy to provide technical support to Rivers State Health Insurance Scheme and Kano State Health Contributory Management Agency to ensure effective implementation of the State Health Insurance and Contributory Schemes.
Roles and Responsibilities
- The consultants are expected to contribute to the successful establishment and operations of the Rivers State Health Insurance Scheme and Kano State Contributory Health Management Scheme respectively.
- This will be done by working with the agencies and State Ministries of Health (SMOH) to put in place necessary structures and processes that will guarantee optimal functioning of the health insurance schemes and delivery of services to enrollees.
The following are the specific tasks of the Consultant:
- Design/technical review of State Health Insurance Schemes (SHIS) policy documents including SHIS laws, operational guidelines, benefit packages;
- Design and implementation of technical processes and tools required for SHIS establishment, operations and roll out;
- Provide technical assistance in the development of a quality assurance systems for the. SHIS and performance management systems for health insurance operations; and
- Capacity building for staff, including mentoring on the technical operations of the SHIS;
Qualifications, Skills and Expertise Required
The consultant should possess the following:
- A good First degree or its equivalent from a reputable University, in Medicine, Sciences, or Numerate disciplines such as Actuarial Science, Statistics, Insurance, etc:
- Postgraduate qualification in Management, Public Health, Health Management, Health Economics, Insurance or other related fields;
- Certification in and/or professional membership of Health, Management and Health Insurance related bodies shall be an added advantage;
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the health insurance space or other related fields
- Experience in developing and delivering capacity building workshops; especially for health insurance implementation;
- Good understanding of current health financing reform initiatives in Nigeria especially at sub-national level;
- Experience carrying out similar assignments in Nigeria particularly at the sub-national level; and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
How To Apply
Applicants should send their Cover Letter and CV’s as a single document to: [email protected] Using “Technical Support Consultant” as the subject the email.